Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Adventures of Captain Gale: In Search of fish...

From: BrianGale@alum.bucknell.edu [mailto:BrianGale@alum.bucknell.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 4:35 AM
To: celebration_news@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [celebration_news] In search of fish...


It has been a few weeks since my last posting, no? I guess that means I've done a good job avoiding towns! For two weeks I meandered north through the Exumas, working my way from Georgetown to Nassau. I visited Warderick Wells fo a few days, and spent my time in the quiet south anchorage, next to the "Pirate's Lair". A cheesy name for an area I thought, until I found out that this was the actual anchorage that Blackbeard and other pirates of the early 1700s used while laying in wait for victims. I was delivering 350 t-shirts from Georgetown for the Land and Sea Park headquartered there, so I was spared the usual looting and pillaging.

I continued north and spent 5 days in the Norman's Cay North Harbor, also known as The Pond. A good description of the place, it made me feel like I was in a pond in Vermont. The harbor is a mile and a half long by maybe a quarter mile wide, and the entrance is hidden around a bend. All you can see for 360 degrees is low hills and trees, with nothing man-made to spoil the view. Since the entrance has shoaled to about 5 feet at high tide, I shared the mile and a half with only 6 other boats. In five days I spoke to 2 other people. It was great.

I arrived in Nassau and spent the time enjoying air conditioning and drinks with ice in them. My friend Ryan showed up, he has signed up for two weeks at the Brian Gale Sail Instruction School. He can also cook well, so he has done most of the teaching thus far.

We've spent the last 6 days heading southeast back to Georgetown. Aside frm the sailing and snorkling, we've become kings at catching the scariest fish in the sea, the barracuda. In the past four days we've caught and released 4 of these ugly suckers as large as three feet long. We also caught another fish, not a barracuda, which ran out 100 yards of line, jumped twice and streaked away from the boat before the leader parted. We're not sure what it was, but we're leaning towards, uhhh, sailfish. It was THIS BIG, let me tell you. Go ahead, ask one of us when you see us next, we'll tell you all about it.

Fortunately for us, my friend Tom shows up in Georgetown today to teach us how to get on track with the good-tasting fish, not just the freak show of the deep. Tom, Ryan and I will be spending the next six days heading back Northwest to Nassau, where they'll both depart from. And then, who knows? Perhaps Eleuthera, perhaps the out islands, perhaps back to the Dairy Queen that I found in Nassau!

I hope all is well with everyone and that this yahoo group is working. If it's not working out, please let me know. And please keep writing, I enjoy keeping in touch with everyone.

Brian
briangale@alum.bucknell.edu
------------------------------
This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.

No comments: